Causes of Foundation Damage and its Prevention
In my earlier articles, we discussed one of the important causes of foundation damage “Erosion”. Getting a clarity on the subject helps you prevent your structure from further damage or any damage that might happen in future. We have also discussed “how analysis of foundation damage is to be carried out”.
In this article, we will discuss in detail the foundation damage occurring due to Rot and Insects. These elements are also responsible for foundation damage and if ignored or left unnoticed can cause severe damage resulting in structural failure.
Types of foundation damage can be classified as follows:
Settlement in the ground
- Groundwater lowering
- Limited bearing capacity of the ground (land)
- Excavations performed below the foundations and poor quality of backfill
- Increased load on the ground leading to failure
- Damage to the neighbouring houses
- Increased load
- Damage (by removing) to the neighbouring houses
- Horizontal movement occurring in the ground
Let us move on with the discussion on Rot and Insects causing foundation damage.