Continuous Beams | Design of RCC Structures

Design of Continuous Beam | RCC Structures

Definition

The beam that rests on more than two supports. The beam that rests over multiple columns. Continuous beams increase the structural rigidity of a structure. They offer alternate load path incase of a failure of a section in the beam.

Continuous beams are commonly used in buildings in seismic risk zone.

Continuous beam

Continuous beam

Three moment equation or Clapeyron’s equation

Continuous Beam | Three moment equation

Clapeyron's three moment equation for continuous beam

Where,

A = Area of bending moment diagram

X = CG of the bending moment diagram

E = Young’s modulus

S = Shrinking of supports

Therefore, S1=0, S2=0 (If there is no shrinking of supports)

Case 1

E1 = E2 =E (same material)

I1 = I2 =I (depth of the beam)

E1I1 = E2I2 = EI

MAL1 + 2MB[L1+L2] + McL2 + (A1X1/L1)+(A2X2/l2)=0

MAL1 + 2MB[L1+L2] + McL2 = -6 (A1X1/L1)+(A2X2/l2)

We will further discuss “Continuous Beams” with the help of numerical.

, , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by abuagla babiker on July 29, 2011 - 11:22 pm

thanks so much

2. #2 by sree on August 31, 2011 - 4:42 am

thanq

• #3 by BenzuJK on August 31, 2011 - 7:02 am

You are welcome Sree. I am glad you found the article useful. I am sure it will also be useful to your friends. Do suggest them to visit the site. It will help them under Design of RCC Structures better. Just a suggestion. Do keep visiting.

Cheers :)

3. #4 by renzil on October 13, 2011 - 1:42 pm

what would be the beam size for column distant 24foot between each other? and column size for 2 stoty building?

4. #6 by Taiwo Kazeem on January 2, 2012 - 10:13 am

Pls i need a worked example of continous beam using Three moment equation

• #7 by BenzuJK on January 18, 2012 - 8:30 am

Hello Taiwo,
      I will make it a point to put it up as soon as possible.

Cheers :-)

5. #8 by Aftab Ali on February 2, 2012 - 11:22 pm

Dear

I hope you will be well. I need your advise, if you give me prompt response i will be very glad and thankful to you. Actually i am going to construct an industrial hall size 80 ft X 40 ft.
    Height of hall is 22 ft.
    Column to Column distance = 20 X 20 ft.
    Column size is = 18 inch X 12 Inch.
    06 simple iron rod of 5/8 mm. in each Column.
    02 X 20 ft beam for 40 feet . My question is how to keep the iron rod in beam ? same as column or 07 rod like 03 in bottom, 02 in middle and 02 in top. OR please guide me. ?

Regards.

A Ali,

6. #9 by Kiran K S on April 26, 2012 - 6:52 am

Hi BenzuJK,
    I am impressed by the blog you have created and is amamzingly helpful.
    I would like some clarification on the roof beam structure.
    Probabaly a ‘Do and Dont’s for tying reinforcement in beams for a framed structure.

7. #10 by Abhishek on May 14, 2012 - 9:29 am

Hello,
    Can you please tell me that what should be the diameter of iron rods used in the RCC and what should be there distance from each other if the coulms are on 10 mtr distance from each other.
    Tankyou.

8. #11 by ramachandran on May 15, 2012 - 11:36 am

mam pls tell me design for cantilever beam

iam now construct one building but before existing building back side. that bck side building is load bearing wall no column provide so front side building cantilever beam provide to connect that back side building that back side building on the one floor is possible or impassible so doubt pls explain me
    that bak side building may be 15′
    x25′

9. #12 by Varsha on July 24, 2012 - 11:41 am

This is very good for study of rcc design…it give very knowlege of design

10. #13 by md.hashmathullah khan on October 8, 2012 - 7:42 am

hi.madam i want to what is vasthu.plz tell the details of vasthu. thanks u

11. #14 by ani peyang on November 16, 2012 - 3:29 am